Our regular store ran out of backyard pools and so we ventured to the toy megastore, where we almost never go. For good reason. Everyone gets a bad case of what the Bearnstain Bears call the "gimmies."
They know very well that their birthday is fast upon us and that they get presents. And even though we tried to concentrate just on the backyard pool, we do all get swept up in the fun of a toy store.
What surprised me most was how obsessed Sis is by Toy Story. Sure, they're singing a song from the first film tonight at graduation. Sure, she saw that movie on Sunday while she was recovering from throwing up. And quickly, it has become a thing. She saw the Toy Story movie display and just had to have the Buzz Lightyear toy. I'm not sure either kiddo has ever quite been this obsessed with popular culture while it was currently popular. Okay, "Handy Mandy" or "Dora" or "Imagination Movers," but I guess this is the first non-preschool thing, the first thing geared to the general child population. And this stuff is everywhere because the third movie is coming out.
Bud, on the other hand, who wouldn't even watch the movie with Sis, is much more interested in knights. He found the Schleich display and wanted it all: knights on foot, knights on horses, elves, tents, castles. On the same theme, he found Lego knights and a Playmobil sword and shield. Sis likes Playmobil, too, (you've created a monster, Aunt Banana!) and asked me more than once if I would remember which ones she liked. And which telescope she liked (the pink one!) And then she saw the Critter Cottage display, basically a dollhouse and dollhouse sets for cute little animals, like bunnies.
And Mama was right there with them both. Literally. Because she was using her new phone to scan the UPC codes to make a virtual birthday list!!! Next thing, I'll be getting Powerpoint Christmas lists! But it was easier than trying to remember all of the things.
I let them buy one thing each--Bud got a knight on horseback, Sis chose a back of Critter bunnies (which enclosed booklet she spent all of lunch drooling over)--in honor of . . . well, choose your favorite--Gommie's birthday (I remember, years ago, Aunt J taking me to the store to get things for Bammie's--last?--birthday and I got to choose a party favor for myself, in this case, pretend make-up with a little plastic purse), preschool graduation, general bribery, just because . . . .
It actually was a fun trip. And we did get the pool. But I think we only need to go once every six months or so . . . maybe again just in time for Christmas. We'll be like camels, only needing to refuel at the oasis after a long time.
No comments:
Post a Comment