Sunday, June 6, 2010

Adventures in Cooking Our CSA Share: First Box

I just can't stop eating salad. I've had two a day since Mama and I picked up our first CSA box of the season on Friday. Only, I've realized that I want to make some of my own salad dressings--I don't like the bitter aftertaste of low fat ones and even some of the regular dressings have ingredients that sound like science class. That just doesn't jive with my local, fresh-from-the-farm greens. So I'll be working on my Buttermilk Ranch and also Green Goddess dressings in the coming weeks. Lettuce this good deserves a little something special. Until then, Newman's Own, originating from right here in CT (and we know people who knew him!), will do and is good (but, oh the calories!).

This afternoon, Mama stir fried both the bok choy and the Asian mix we received, mainly thin soy sauce and Maggi, both of which we ate over noodles.

That leaves radishes and turnips, for those salads, and escarole, which I'll put in a white bean soup. And two farm chickens, both about 3 lbs each, one of which they ate yesterday, beer-can chicken style! I'll bake the other one tomorrow, to eat with rice and gravy a la Gommie.

Next week: KALE! One of my favorites . . . .
-=-=-=-=-=-=

Recipes to follow

Beer Can Chicken

White Bean and Escarole Soup

No comments:

Post a Comment