Tuesday, March 10, 2009

My New GP

I went to a new doctor this morning and love her! As you've heard, I'd been less than pleased with the single-mindedness and lack of listening of my previous GP. And after a particularly frustrating conversation in which she refused to hear my concerns about my back because she was too fixated on my sugars (for the record, yes, I had gestational diabetes but I've been clear since then, with some occasional pre-diabetic fasting numbers probably related to my extra weight, but everything else normal, but I'm very aware that 40% of women with gestational diabetes go on to develop Type 2 so I'm working on it. But even the 3-month blood test came back fine). I decided to find a new doctor. Breaking up is hard to do.

But not as hard as I thought. The new doctor is approximately my age, with a young child--someone who can relate! And she took all of her notes in a laptop! And does all sorts of e-prescriptions and online medical stuff. I had been concerned that perhaps a younger doctor wouldn't have valuable experience, but I had overlooked the possibility of greater enthusiasm and interest in new technologies and procedures (thanks, Miss J--that would be nurse J because there seem to be a lot of Js in my circle--for helping me see the light). I was really impressed. And she was so encouraging, had kind and supportive things to say about all the PT work I've done to shrink my diastasis, my continued efforts to lose weight, my hopes to walk a 5K this summer, my vegetarianism. Never had my old doctor muttered so much as a positive word about any of my efforts--yep, you guessed it, she just had to express concerns about those sugars. So, I've turned off that broken old record.

And updated to an MP3 player!!

No comments:

Post a Comment