Sunday, March 1, 2009

Ms. Yuck

I was running low on shampoo, I noticed, as I picked up the bottle this afternoon. And as I shook it to determine just how much I had left, my eye caught the long list of ingredients--are they ingredients if you don't eat it? Anyway, not any of them could I easily pronounce. What was I putting in my hair? I have natural deodorant and natural toothpaste, both Tom's of Maine, eschew most other salves and such save some Burt's Bees hand lotion and lip balm, and whatever bar of herbal or glycerin soap I have on hand (when it's not Dr. Bronner's). But what was this stuff in my shampoo? So I asked Mama to look at the natural shampoos when she went to Trader Joe's today in advance of tonight's storm. And so she brought home a new shampoo, most of which ingredients I could pronounce, and some TJ's toilet paper! The shampoo I liked, the toilet paper I haven't tried yet.

Then tonight, Iwas cleaning the toilet with some of the only harsh chemicals we have left in the house (because if you're going to use harsh chemicals, it should probably be on the toilet, right?). I'd poured the blue stuff into the bowl and was readjusting the cap when the contents oozed all over my hands, having been caught under the cap. Blue stuff all over me. I washed it off me and the bottle and only then noticed the first aid warnings on the back: wash hands for 20 minutes and call poison control. Great. So, I did the former while Mama did the latter. Apparently, the acidity of toilet cleanser is a Ph-balance of 1, because of the bleach, I think. Yep, I might have a chemical burn. So I kept washing. 20 minutes. Now my hands were red and raw and cold from the tap and the rubbing. Luckily, no blisters appeared and there was no burning or tingling. I'd gotten off pretty easily, apparently. But the toilet didn't--I never finished cleaning it, just flushed the blue stuff away, and then tossed the last of the toxic chemicals in the house. What if the kids had found that bottle, even kept as it is behind childproof barriers? The blue goo looks like finger paint but it so much more dangerous. It's just not worth it.

1 comment:

  1. And what did you use to wash your hands, commercial soap full of chemicals? You had no choice but I suspect you over reacted. Over the years I have had my hands in acids, alkalis and all in between, including cyanides but plenty of water then a 2 or 3 minute wash did the job. Liquid nitrogen was difficult because it evaporated as soon as it hit the skin but it did burn, fear not will not come across that very often. Rubber/plastic gloves are useful when handling corrosive materials, especially delicate female hands...I nearly always wore those but just occasionally you had to get your hand in quickly. Eyes, now that IS different, 20 mins with water minimum.

    ReplyDelete