Wednesday, March 25, 2009

The Unexpected

Bad News:  Bud and Sis are officially sick and will be staying home from school tomorrow.  Bud came down from afternoon resttime, not 10 minutes after Sis and I had come downstairs, with bumps all over his face and bright red cheeks.  What in the world?  The doctor could see us right away and so we headed in.  The bumps had mostly subsided before she saw him, though he was still red cheeked, but we did determine that it is probably some allergic reaction to some kind of contact--the bacteria in his own nose, "spring," or something similar.  He hadn't had any new foods and it wasn't a food-like allergic reaction anyway.  But now he's got some benadryl.  And antibiotics for the infantigo (impetigo--there are bunches of spellings for this common skin rash), which is what is keeping him home; we'd been putting cream on his nose where he's rubbing the "nose knots" (read:  nose snots) but it's still gotten infected.  Then the doctor looked at Sis's ears--still fluid-filled and not registering on the meter--so we have Zyrtec and a nasal spray for her; she's staying home too.  That means I walked out of the doctor's office with instructions for 6 meds between the two of them!  I didn't realize they were that ill or miserable; I'd just been startled (no, how about frightened) by the bumps/hives.  Talk about feeling like a negligent, remiss mom, especially because once they'd been clear of fever this weekend, I'd sent them to school.

Good news:  I had totally forgotten that a friend had called weeks ago to ask me out to the anniversary party of my favorite feminist/vegetarian restaurant Bloodroot.  And so I said I'd go.  Then the above happened, Mama raced to the pharmacy after swinging by the house surreptiously to get the Rx, and my friend decided she wanted to go early.  Not a good mix.  But I still got there (again, a negligent, remiss mom who was by then totally desperate for a real meal and some adult conversation outside of the house.  I only wish Mama and I had remembered to get a babysitter and go together, as we had originally discussed weeks ago).   I had an incredible dinner--French cream of mushroom soup that was flavorful and creamy without being too lumpy, their yummy and dense homemade oatmeal bread, a fresh side salad, and this incredible noodle souffle that was kinda like a noodle kugel but not a sweet dessert one, though it did have some creaminess, eggs, maybe even some cheese like ricotta, and a bit of lemon--it actually reminded me a lot of the filling of a cheese kolache from home.  With a tangerine soda and a slice of nutty Queen of Sheba cake, my friend and I had a delightful evening up to and including belly dancing!  Yep, three American Tribal bellydance aficionados performed and then encouraged us to dance.  I hadn't had enough champagne to do that, but I liked watching the talent of the women.  I might even consider taking lessons--it must be great for the back and hips!  I came home with a new calendar, a "stone-ground" chocolate bar, two books for the kids (Raising Dragons and one about an egg which title I forget), and a book about lesbians and Girl Scouts (I'm a lesbian!  I was a Girl Scout!), including an essay by someone we knew in Chicago.

So, I guess, all's well that ends well, even if tomorrow is going to be a long day with two sickly kids.  At least we have two new books.  And of course Mama picked up some other treats at the store.   And I can always teach them to bellydance . . . . 

No comments:

Post a Comment