Tuesday, February 10, 2009

F***book, Part II

I'm on the record for not being a fan of Facebook, though, in many ways that is quite unfair of me, as I've never tried it. I have, however, given the topic a considerable amount of my spare thinking time. Why is that? Well, because usually when I don't like something, or don't understand something (particularly about myself), I keep thinking about it until I get a handle on it (wait til I get started on housework, which has occupied a considerable amount of my thought--but doing activity--time recently).

My view on social networking sites has basically been that I haven't wanted to engage in shallow or artificial relationships with people with whom I do not already interact. I have enough trouble keeping up with the family and friends with whom I'm already connected to add to the list kids from elementary school, summer camp, or college. But then why not just join and "friend" only those people already in my circle? I worry, then, that I would have to make tough choices--do I accept invitations from people I only sort of know through church or professionally? Especially if I'm giving "status updates" about weight loss, watering my garden, or what I did last night. I understand that you can't divide up your friends list into categories.

But, in a recent satire of the very popular "25 Random Things" list, which in a different guise has long made the rounds of email and blogs, I was struck by al the heartfelt comments of Facebookers. Most especially, I liked the idea of social networking sites as a new social paradigm. Email is just electronic mail, a form as old as writing itself, but what comes close to the structure and scope of Facebook? Not much. And so, the users are really working out the boundaries (or lack thereof) of a new kind of interaction. In the process, it's bound to look awkward to those of us not participating. But being a socially cautious individual, I think I'm going to wait until it gets its footing. I mean, it took me years to email and longer to blog. Maybe by the time my kids are on Facebook, I'll be more used to it.

By then, they'll be on to something else.

-=-=-=-=-

Of course, I love these kinds of questionnaires, as you know, and so I present, in blog form, 25 Random Things You Probably Already Know about Me that I Can Think of Right Now (big TMI warning):

1. I won the Home Ec award in 8th grade.
2. But I am more proud of being nominated for Chili Cook-off Queen in college.
3. "Speed Racer" was my first favorite tv show.
4. Snow White was my favorite Disney princess as a child (before Beauty came along) because she had dark hair.
5. At one time, I had 16 pen pals (before email).
6. I was the sponsor of the Clown Club when I taught school.
7. Tie-dye is one of my favorite arts and crafts.
8. I have recurring nightmares about hurricanes.
9. I love to type (I find it very relaxing). I think typing was the most useful class I took in high school.
10. I'm scared of earthquakes and never really like being in California.
11. I used to make my kids watch "Little Bear" because I liked it.
12. I totally have a crush on Orlando Bloom, but only in LOTR.
13. Culture Club and Wham! were my favorite bands as a tween and teen--and I saw them both in concert.
14. I have long had a working mental outline of a book I'm going to write someday; it's a food memoir.
15. I love to dress up to go to the local Renaissance Festivals.
16. One day, I would love to work as a costumed interpreter at a living history museum, preferrably in the kitchens.
17. I once got a zero (not a single step correct) on a math test in 5th grade.
18. But was secretary of the math club in high school because all my friends were in it.
19. And later voluntarily took calculus in college just to qualify for Phi Beta Kappa.
20. I have harbored thoughts of becoming a UU minister.
21. I once gave a 45-minute lecture to 1000 teachers wearing my turtleneck shirt inside out (luckily, I had a vest on over it and long hair covering the tag).
22. I know how to start a campfire with a tampon--the Girl Scouts taught me.
23. I subconsciously rub my feet together as I'm waking up (the cats love this).
24. I regularly take magazines from waiting rooms to finish reading them at home.
25. I pick my nose (no way to make that flaw into any kind of virtue). Aren't you glad you read all the way to the end?

No comments:

Post a Comment