I'm trying a new (to me) cookbook from the library, Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish, which was recommended to me by a veg friend who likes the quick and easy low-fat, vegetarian recipes. Well, here's one below and it sure was delicious. I think it was the lemon juice that really took it a step beyond the other Moroccan stew recipes I have. And all the colors are beautiful.
-=-=-=-=-
Chickpea Stew with Couscous
1 medium onion, diced
3 garlic coves, minced
2 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups diced zucchini
1 large sweet potato, peeled, in 1/2" dice
1 cup diced red bell pepper
1 cup diced green bell pepper
1 cup diced, peeled tomato, canned or fresh, with juice
1 teaspoon cinnamon*
1 teaspoon ground coriander*
1/2 teaspoon cumin*
pinch cayenne (we omitted this)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1 tablespoon lemon jice
1-15 oz can chickpeas, drained, or 1/2 cups homemade
2 cups couscous
2 tablespoons minced parsley or cilantro
*I substituted 2 1/2 teaspoons Penzey's sweet curry powder for this and it was wonderful.
In a large pot, combine onion, garlic, and 1/4 cup vegetable broth (in fairness, I used a little olive oil to get in my daily guidelines for WW). Cook over moderate heat until liquid evaporates and onion is transparent, about 5 minutes. Add zucchini, sweet potato, bell peppers, tomato, cinnamon, coriander, cumin, cayenne, sat, and pepper. Simmer 5 minutes. Add remaining 1 3/4 cups broth and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer, cover, lower heat, and simmer gently until vegetables are just tender, about 5 more minutes (nope, took almost 15+). Stir in chickpeas and cook until chickpeas are hot. Keep stew warm. Serve over couscous. Garnish with minced parsley.
Everyday Cooking with Dr. Dean Ornish
No comments:
Post a Comment