My friend Mommy Goose sent me a link to a rainbow cake recipe, knowing I would love the colorful confection. Wow! It's an edible circle of concentric rainbow colors. Such fun.
But the comments weren't--why do I read those? Paraphrasing Virginia Woolf, anonymous was a hater. I did find a few constructive ones: try it in black and white for a zebra cake, or in your school colors. Also, because this is a "diet" cake, made with mix and diet soda, there were lots of comments on nutrition. Very useful was one comment to use a can of pumpkin puree (not pie mix--though, truthfully, I'm not sure I know the difference--isn't Libby's puree?) instead of diet soda, or eggs, or oil, in various baked goods for moisture. I'm going to try that. Plain seltzer apparently works too. I know applesauce does. Unhelpful comments castigated the blogger for chemicals, dyes, aspartame, artificial flavors, not being organic, ad nauseum. Okay, so I don't feed my kids many fake ingredients much either, believing Michael Pollan's "eat food," but I can adapt the great idea (which several commentors noted had appeared on other blogs earlier) to what I will let them eat.
And until I do, I love looking at the rainbow colors!
No comments:
Post a Comment