Thursday, September 10, 2015

I Love a Luncheon

Luncheons were always things adults did.  Kids had lunch, at school.  Moms who played bridge or volunteered for organizations had luncheons.

Well, I don't play bridge, but sometimes my playgroup used to host mommy-only luncheons and I do volunteer, so a couple of times a year I get to go to a luncheon.  I love them!  It's always food I don't usually get--interesting salads, often a tangy punch, unique desserts.  And party favors!  Kinda like the birthday parties of my youth but without the games.  

Yesterday, I went to the volunteer luncheon of the historical house and had a fun time.  It was a small group, but we feasted well--local deli wraps, a delicious Sweet Potato Bake (see Miss J, I didn't call it a casserole!), and these lovely little Peach Squares.  So, of course, I got the recipes (I always get good recipes from a luncheon--see Norwegian Apricot Squares and Orange Poppy Seed dressing for salad here, Sticky Coconut Rice here, historical syllabubs and switchel here, Florentine Lasagna Roll-Ups here, and Pea Pesto Salad and also Caramel Apple Dip here.)

There was even a door prize and t-shirt giveaway.

Looking forward to another year at the house, happier not to be in charge of tours this time around.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Miss JR's Sweet Potato Bake
5-6 sweet potatoes, washed and cubed (peeled, optional)
4 tablespoons brown sugar
cinnamon to taste (generous sprinkles across the potatoes a few times)
olive oil to coat

Preheat oven to 425F.  Toss ingredients together until coated.  Spread evenly in 9x 13" pan or even larger baking dish (good to give them space).  Bake 45 minutes or until caramelized.  Delicious!


Miss CA's Peach Squares
So easy. Buy the puff pastry sheets (I get Pepperidge Farm).   There are 2 sheets in a package. Take either one or both out of the package and defrost for about 1/2 hour. It is folded in three. After it defrosts open it up. It measures 9x9. Easy to cut because you are going to cut 9 - 3 inch squares. Cut thin slices of either peaches or nectarines. Lay 2 or 3 slices on each square. Then, I take a tsp of sugar and sprinkle it on 3 of the tarts. And do the same for the other 6 tarts (so u will be using 3 tsp total). Put them on parchment paper on a cookie sheet. Bake at 425 degrees for 15-20 minutes until browned. Cool on a rack. Drizzle the fruit with honey right before serving.  It makes it taste and look good. This would be a fun project to do with the kids. It is. Soooo easy and they come out so good they would be proud of their accomplishment. Enjoy!,,

No comments:

Post a Comment