Wednesday, September 9, 2015

Piano Forte

My piano lessons are picking up in intensity now that we're back on a more regular schedule  . . . and I can practice more with the kids gone during the day.  When they're here, there's usually something to do besides piano; my practice flagged over the summer.  But now, I have nine clear months to practice and improve.

I'm almost at the end of my adult piano book(Adult All-in-One-Course), but we've also branched out to its companion volume (Alfred's Adult Piano Course:  All-Time Favorites) with longer songs and no theory.  "Finlandia," "Hungarian Rhapsody," and now "In the Good Ol' Summertime" are all from that book.

We had done some chord chart reading, if I've got that right--it's just the chords, no melody--often figured out by enthusiasts and posted online but not really officially published.  I've tried a few of these without too much success, though I was getting the hang of the Indigo Girls' "Language of the Kiss."  I might try "Touch the Sky" from Brave and "The Skye Boat Song" from Outlander next.

Also on my list to try sooner rather than later:  "Hedwig's Theme" from Harry Potter and "Concerning Hobbits" from LOTR, both of which the kids have played.  Plus "Amazing Grace" and "Simple Gifts."

So, it's an exciting piano time for me.

Though, honestly, I don't really know if I'm going to play in the recital.  Yes, I did it in the spring, just a month after surgery--what could be harder than that?--but I don't really have a piece ready and I don't really know if I have a handle on how not to be nervous and shake so much.  Let's just say I'm leaving my options open, which is just fine with my piano teacher.  I have almost two months to decide . . . and to get a piece ready.

The kids, of course, could be ready now!

No comments:

Post a Comment