Monday, September 21, 2015

My Ad Hoc Wildtree Slow Cooker Recipe

I've been having such a good time with my Wildtree slow cooker freezer meals.  The kids have enjoyed Margarita Chicken, Golden BBQ Chicken, Garlicky-Lime Chicken, and Savory Sweet Onion, all from the workshop I went to this summer.  I've got some of the products leftover and so  I've drawn up this cheat sheet for further meals (I could also look on their website.)  You have to play around with it, flavor-wise, but so far the kids have liked everything I've tried.  I think it would be hard to mess it up.

For those of you wondering, no, these recipes aren't strictly low FODMAP, with the garlic and onion and honey.  But, it's minimal enough that it doesn't bother me too much (I'm finding I can eat small quantities of these things, as long as I don't have too much oil, or too many of the different FODMAPs.)  And it's much better FODMAP-wise than any take out.

-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-

My Ad Hoc Wildtree Slow Cooker Recipe

Choose a Protein (if your cut of meat is especially lean, consider adding a couple of teaspoons of any Wildtree Grapeseed Oil):
  • approx. 2 lbs beef rump roast (I actually haven't tried any beef yet)
  • approx. 2 lbs chicken breasts or parts
  • approx. 2 lbs pork chops or loin
Add sauce (choose one):
  • 1/2 cup Cactus Pete's BBQ sauce
  • 2 tablespoons Agave Margarita mixture 
  • 1/2 cup Golden BBQ sauce
  • 3/4 cup Sweet Onion Dressing
Add flavors:
  • 2 teaspoons Garlic Galore Blend
  • 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard (or 2 teaspoons dry mustard)
  • 2 tablespoons Bruschetta Blend
Add sweet and/or salty:
  • salt
  • pepper
  • 1/4 cup soy sauce
  • 2- 4 tablespoons honey
  • 1-2 tablespoons brown sugar
Add acid:
  • 1/4 cup orange juice
  • 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
  • 1 tablespoon lemon juice

Put all of the above in a large freezer bag, freeze for later use or refrigerate overnight for the next day.  If frozen, defrost for 24 hours in refrigerator before putting in slow cooker.

Then, to a 3-4 quart slow cooker, add vegetables (about 2-3 cups total):
  • onions
  • bell peppers
  • green beans
  • cabbage
  • carrots
  • red potatoes
Sometimes I add 1/2-1 cup of water to make more sauce.  Cook on LOW approximately 6-8 hours.  Serve over rice or noodles or "straight up" with a nice green salad.

Mommy Hungry

No comments:

Post a Comment