Thursday, November 22, 2012

Thanksgiving Live: 10 Minutes to Chaos

Gong is asleep on the couch; Ma is drinking coffee in the kitchen.  Goo is with the kids playing Pokemon cards.  And I'm lying down upstairs, getting a second wind.  Mama is . . . somewhere.

Because in about 10 minutes, it will be time to put dinner on the table!  There are currently 5 dishes in one oven, two needing their last-minute toppings soon, and one in the convection, roasting their little sprout hearts out.  The gravy is done; the cranberry sauce is done.

We're almost ready.

We run a pretty informal ship over here:  no elaborate place settings or centerpieces, no linen tablecloth or napkins, no fine china or crystal.  That's not a complaint; we're good that way--it's us.  We do have a fancy turkey cranberry dish (thanks, Aunt Banana), a turkey platter (both with a and for the turkey), as well as turkey plates (okay, confession:  I'm a vegetarian and I wonder about pictures of happy live turkeys on plates with hot dead turkey.  At least it's a pretty Victorian-esque cranberry-colored transfer).  But it's our everyday glasses and cutlery.  And so much food there won't be space for any pinecone pilgrims!

And here we go.  Dinner, a round of gratitudes (or not, I think those wounds might just be too tender right now), and lots of food.

Not a bad day.

No comments:

Post a Comment