Wednesday, November 28, 2012

My First Hospice Visit

Nathan's hot dogs.
Coney Island.
Williamsburg.
Forest Hills.
The Catskills.

I traveled back in time to NYC circa Woody Allen's Radio Days this afternoon, talking with my new hospice friend (?  patient seems very clinical, and client too professional.  I'm a visitor.  Does that make the other person the visitee?).  It was actually much easier to have a conversation than I supposed it would be, even though it was punctuated by little naps and distractions.

Things I might have worried about--like not being able to hear or understand the person's speech, witnessing distressing symptoms, running out of things to say--didn't happen . . . this time.  I know there will be awkward and difficult moments, if not with this hospice friend, than with the next.

Then, of course, there will be this person's decline and eventual death; it is hospice, after all.  And I will write a card for the family and attend the funeral, if I can.

But today was a blessing and I'm looking forward to my weekly visits.


No comments:

Post a Comment