I'm working my way through some of my cookbooks again, trying to find new recipes to entice the kiddos. Cabbage soup a la Mark Bittman was a success the other day; last night Katie Workman's The Mom 100 Cookbook's veggie stir-fry was a success.
Yes, I do see the irony in relying on some white woman's exact recipe for a Chinese stir fry, an art in itself, for my half-Chinese kids.
But they loved it.
I adapted the recipe somewhat based on what I had in the fridge and the kids' own preferences. Really, saute any stir-fry-friendly vegetables in a little oil and garlic and then add her sauce. She called for snap peas; I used yellow bell pepper and baby corn. She advises tofu; I skipped that for a vegetarian meal but might add chicken next time.
Here's the sauce:
Veggie Stir-Fry Sauce
1 cup stock
1/4 cup tamari or low-sodium soy sauce
2 tablespoons sesame oil
1 tablespoon rice vinegar
(you can add a little sugar if you like it on the sweet side)
Saute chosen vegetables in olive oil, adding garlic and ginger. Then simmer them in the above sauce until tender. Serve over rice or even noodles.
adapted from Katie Workman, The Mom 100 Cookbook
No comments:
Post a Comment