Sunday, May 9, 2010

Rise Up: ISO Salt-Rising Bread

I just got a comment from Cousin S regarding Salt-Rising Bread. Never heard of it. But she has, several times, it seems. A quick search turns up that it is "old-fashioned" and "tricky," apparently based on a starter with cornmeal, sugar, and milk. Hmmmmm. Gonna see what else I can find so I can think about making it. 'Cos, you know, "tricky" is so enticing.

2 comments:

  1. I think I might have read about it in the Houston Chronicle just recently...maybe close to two weeks ago. I'm not sure. But, that was the first I had heard about it. Then, at the bay this week, someone said something about salt-rising bread and Dee remembered it from her childhood as being "absolutely wonderful"! I'll try to figure out where I first read about it and let you know. Isn't that the way it always is? You've never heard of something in your life and then all of a sudden you hear about it every other day!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm sure you have found this website if you googled salt rising bread. But, just on the off-chance you didn't: http://home.comcast.net/~petsonk/index.htm

    Sounds like way too much work for me to think about, but I know you like a challenge! I'm assuming the "rotten cheese aroma" goes away. At least I'm hoping it does.

    ReplyDelete