Monday, May 10, 2010

Go Figure

For months now, Bud, and to some extent Sis, has been terrified of having his hair washed. I don't mean grumpy about it. But scared. Petrified. So bath time has been a real struggle, even though we only wash hair as minimally as possible. And it's not just me that has a problem getting his hair washed. Mama can't manage it either. Nor can Ma. And while we do not want to give in to any kind of tantrum or manipulation, we do want to recognize and respect real fear. We've tried cups, titling heads back, covering ears and eyes with washcloths, the shower head spray, letting them pour the water themselves, letting them wash our hair first, even goggles for protection. You name it. Nothing has worked.

Having heard them giggling for awhile now, I just popped my head into the bathroom where they are still playing. And Bud dumps a full cup of bubbly water on his head. Repeatedly. With a smile on his face. And he's still doing it! And enjoying it . . . . "I'm going to tell Mama and Gommie and Ma that I can wash my own hair! I'm an expert hair-washer."

There's no telling with kids, I say.

No comments:

Post a Comment