Monday, May 10, 2010

Short Swim

Oh, my it was cold this morning. Not just because it was actually freezing outside, but because the pool was only 80F. Apparently, 79F is about the lowest that lap swimmers will tolerate. I made it about 15 minutes before I was crampy, having never been crampy in the pool before. I had to stop twice because my mid-back hurt. (The highlight of the morning: meeting the kids' swim teacher in the locker room!)

It's been that kind of weekend, really. Saturday was awful. In fact, I posted, briefly, about it in "Misplaced Optimism, Or My Terrible, Horrible, No-Good, Very Bad Morning." But the post was too much of a downer so I removed it. But, having gotten past that morning and having felt mostly good since then, I'll re-post it here:
I've felt so good all week that, following doctor's orders, I stopped taking my anti-inflammatory after a week.

I woke up this morning and realized that was a bad call.

I hadn't been sure if my feeling good had been the result of the anti-inflammatories, my new gym regimen, my new bed pillow, the return of my original PT, or all four. Turns out, it was all the drugs.

I knew before I got out of bed that something was amiss. It even hurt when I walked. (But, this being my mid-back, at least I could walk, which I can't really do when it's my lower back). Tried to get my swimsuit on, as I'd intended to go for a swim. Couldn't do that. Took some meds and spent 3 hours hoping it would get better soon. The kids alternately begged me to play and did sweet things to help me out. Mama tried to distract them and me.

I feel much better now, even ran errands and went to a party, but not as good as yesterday. I'll be calling the ortho on Monday, just to see if we need to think of something else, maybe that MRI just in case.

Needless to say, I'll be taking my prescription tonight.

And sleeping with my pillow.

And keeping my PT appointment.

And going for a swim soon.
Anyway, I'm trying to do what I can to "fix" this pain cycle and/or deal with it. But I'll feel much better, mentally and physically, when I can get in a good swim.

No comments:

Post a Comment