(For moms at our preschool: only read this if you don't want to be surprised this afternoon or next year!)
The kiddos brought out decorated coffee-filter-and-tissue-paper corsages--in purple! (Sis had wanted green for Mama but they didn't have it; and yes, it's still always me/Buddy and Mama/Sis)--and proudly, maybe even a bit shyly, took us inside to our seats. The tables were delicately decorated with fresh flowers, a china teapot, colorful plates, homemade placecards, and homemade napkin rings. Bud desperately wanted to give me the little wrapped present but we had to wait for the grace. Finally, before even lemonade and sandwiches, he happily passed me the little wrapped package--inside was a magnet with his thumbprint transformed into a chick. Sis's had a flower. We all put our napkins in our laps! And then they simultaneously wished us "bon appetit!" and we passed around sandwiches--on bright pink and green bread! Apparently, a local bakery will color its pullman loaf dough (what is a pullman loaf?). Maybe I should try it for my bread pledge. There were jelly sandwiches, cream cheese, cream cheese and jelly, cream cheese and cucumber, and turkey. Food you don't eat at home--like deli turkey--is always better at a party. Especially with pink lemonade. The climax was the mini-cupcakes which, like the sandwiches, the children had made that morning. Yum, yum, yum.
And then they all got up and sang. I wish I had the lyrics (I haven't gotten the kids to do it again yet!). My favorite line was "I love the way she cooks and I love the way she looks!" But the best part of the song was that Bud was desperate to hold Sis's hand throughout the song and she didn't want him to. I'm just glad she didn't become upset (or deck him) in the middle of the song! But she couldn't concentrate on singing until he gave up his attempt. It was still all very sweet.
We posed for some pictures with the kids and then headed to lunch--because even a delightful and yummy tea isn't usually enough food for preschoolers or their moms! And I proudly wore my corsage the whole time.
No comments:
Post a Comment