Monday, May 3, 2010

Rise Up: It's All Greek

In honor of the kids' current obsession with my retellings of Greek myths over dinner (Orpheus and the Underworld, anyone? Maybe Persephone and Demeter?), and their repeated requests for toast in the last 24 hours, I'm making bread today: Greek Bread. Called psomo, or mother's bread according to my coobkook--hey, another observance of Mother's Day to add to my list!--this is everyday bread in Greece that is usually made with evaporated goat's milk. But evaporated cow's milk works too. So, sans sesame seeds which would be a turn off to both kids, I just put this in my bread machine because I'm just not up to kneading today.

I'll update later on how it turned out.

Opa!

-=-=-=-=-

Update: The kids loved this bread! Mama and I liked it too, not missing the tang that has existed in many of the other breads. I wouldn't say it was sweet (though the recipe did), but it was definitely good. And now it's gone.
-=-=-=-=-

Greek Bread

1/3 cup water
1 cup evaporated milk or evaporated goat's milk
2 3/4 cups bread flour
1/4 cup whole wheat or whole grain spelt flour
1 1/4 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 tablespoon gluten
2 teaspoons sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 1/2 teaspoons bread machine yeast

Place all ingredients in the pan according to the order in the manufacturer's instructions. Set crust on medium and program for Basic (this is not suitable for delay timer).

When the baking cycle ends, immediately remove the bread from the pan and place it on a rack. Let cool to room temperature before slicing.

Beth Hensperger, The Bread Lover's Bread Machine Cookbook

No comments:

Post a Comment