Friday, September 4, 2009

Of Sangha and Service

Having been in school for something approaching 28 years from preschool to Ph.D., I am conditioned to treat September, instead of January, as the beginning of the year. And so, as schooltime approaches for the kids (the beginning of 28 years for them? If that's what they want . . . ), I am contemplating and pursuing two new ideas.

Let's start with the second one first, "service": I have contacted the local public schools to volunteer with their arts program and will be speaking to the district administrator next week. Everywhere I read there is mention of the longstanding and widespread cuts to arts programs and the challenges facing schools now. And so I want to see how I can help out and put my art and education skills to good use. Organizing "picture parent" programs, working with teachers, and teaching students were some of my favorite parts of my museum work (right after writing lesson plans and curricula!). I'll keep you posted.

Secondly, I am considering joining a sangha, or meditation community, and have been emailing a local group about their weekly meetings. The organizer (I'm not sure of his position or title) seems very encouraging and welcoming, but I am a bit nervous. Up to now, I've only meditated for 5+ minutes at home; a group meditation for 25 minutes is completely different. And I have questions, weird but persistent worries. No wonder Momma Zen says that joining a community is a sticking point for many meditators. What if I have a coughing fit and need to leave the group before the meditation is over? Do they sit on pillows? Would I be able to have a chair (since it's hard for me to sit on the ground for long periods, though I've seen that improve with my PT)? Do you make a donation? I've emailed the organizer these beginner questions and look forward to his response. And if I get up my nerve, I'll go next week.

On the same day I speak with the school administrator.

The night before school starts for our family . . .

Here's to the school year! And lifelong learning way after school ends . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment