Monday, September 28, 2009

Messing With Perfection

I've fiddle with my perfect Pot Pie recipe, changing some of the proportions. I'm not sure how much it matters, but I wanted to include the changes because they loved eating this last week. Another recipe to add to my arsenal, I mean, repertoire.

-=-=-=-=-

My Pot Pie, Version 2 (The Easy One)

2 refrigerated pie crusts, at room temperature
1 1/2 cups frozen mixed vegetables (approx.; no need to defrost)
1 small can mushrooms, drained
2 cups cooked chicken thigh meat (approx.)
1/2 cup flour
4 tablespoons butter
4 cups stock (I used vegetable)
salt and pepper


Preheat oven to 350F.

Melt butter in a large saucepan. Then add flour. Cook until brown (i.e. brown but not burnt--if it burns, toss it out and start roux again. You can't get rid of that bitter burnt roux taste). Allow to boil so "gravy" will thicken. Add frozen vegetables, mushrooms, and cooked chicken to heat through. Add salt and pepper to taste.

Spray inside of 9" pie plate with cooking spray. Roll out and lay down bottom pie crust. Fill with vegetables, chicken, and "gravy." Top with remaining pie crust. Vent. Put pie plate on cookie sheet to prevent spillover. Bake for approximately 1 hour or until crust is brown and filling is bubbly.
Mommy Hungry, via Miss L and Martha Stewart's Everyday Living

No comments:

Post a Comment