Monday, May 23, 2011

BSA Revisited

I've been giving my Boy Scouts of America post more thought. It occurs to me that I am really bothered by my friends' acceptance of the BSA's discriminatory and homophobic policies, their willingness to sign up their own children regardless of the implications. Why don't they care? They've told me they don't agree with the policies, but it doesn't seem to bother them. Why aren't my friends also standing up for justice? for us and our kids?

While the comparison is exaggerated and hyperbolic, I am reminded of Pastor Martin Niemoller's "First They Came . . . ":

First they came for the communists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,
and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for me
and there was no one left to speak out for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment