Tuesday, August 6, 2013

Nothing for Granted

I've been keeping a running list in my head for some time now of things, specifically activities, which I do not take for granted after my on-and-off-again "life in a bed."  Often, I find myself doing these and thinking, mercy, I couldn't do this three years ago and now I can.  Call it gratitude, self-awareness, mindfulness, whatever, I don't ever forget that I can:

  • tie my shoes by myself
  • rollover in bed
  • stand up without help
  • getting out of the shower alone
  • putting a bag in the garbage can
  • pick something up off the floor
  • take things in and out of the oven
  • stand at sink to do dishes or at stove to stir a pot
  • unload dishwasher
  • get things off the lower shelves of the fridge
  • sit down to eat
  • lean over to tuck my kids in each night
  • push a store cart
  • carry in the grocery bags
  • drive for 20 minutes!
  • sit in passenger seat instead of reclining in back
  • travel in a plane
  • sit in pew at church
  • attend a show
  • weed my garden
  • feed the cats
  • pick up the cats
  • put laundry in and out of machine
  • stand to fold clothes
  • bend to open drawers to get out/put away clothes
  • get down on floor/ground and get back up (like for a picnic in the grass!)
  • give a 1 1/2 tour at the historic house
  • sit with a hospice patient
  • stand for an entire Brownie meeting
  • sit at Starbucks for awhile
  • open and close the windows
  • dance a little
  • walk on a treadmill/outside for longer periods of time
  • be out and about for up to about 5 hours (with rests, of course)
There are others, I'm sure--and of course a list of things I still can't really do (swim, sit to use computer)--but I like to focus on those above.

No comments:

Post a Comment