- One of my all-time favorites, a must-read for parents or anyone who "compares and despairs"--Glennon Melton's "Quit Eating Your Avocado at Me": ""I am telling you that I decided right then and there that this mother was feeding her child avocados AT ME. And that also she had matched her child's clothes that morning AT ME. And also that she had likely disciplined her child effectively for years AT ME. And that as icing on her (likely homemade and gluten-free) cake she was enjoying a lovely, peaceful, well-planned, healthy lunch AT ME. I felt judged. I felt like her approach to parenting was maybe developed solely to shine a big old spotlight on my "not good enough" parenting. She was parenting AT ME, I tell you!"
- An argument for Zeus?? (NYT)
- On Jerusalem, the cookbook--I would love to read this (NYT)
- "I do not want my daughter to be nice" I see the point, but I think nice is still ok (NYT)
- A dark expose on assisted living (NYT)
- Beautiful (and not as creepy as it sounds)--a journalist live tweets his mother's last days (Buzzfeed)
- "Can Sewing Change Your Body Image?" (Guardian)
- A modern version of white women and their black cooks, more on Paula Deen (NYT)
- What your bed says about you--just make it! (Karen Maezen Miller)
- Changing definitions of cancer, esp DCIS (NYT)
- "Profiling Obama" navigating racism in America and Trayvon Martin verdict (NYT)
- A modern exploration of an 1852 article on the heat wave (NYT)
- "Hating on Fat People Just Makes Them Fatter" (NPR)
- The Guardian: 100 best non-fiction and 100 best fiction
- Full moon's effects on sleep (BBC)
- A touching missing twin story (NYT)
- On cento verse: a quilted poem on cancer (NYT)
- Another article on white women and black cooks (NYT)
- "I'm tired of reading to my son, OK?" (NYT)--esp if it was the Bearnstein Bears!
- Famous but misattributed quotes (Toni Bernhard)
- Exploring Islam with children (UU)--a good book recommendation
- Mormons, the Web, and doubt (NYT)
- On Trayvon Martin here and here (NYT op eds by Charles Blow)
- Arthur Miller on the heat of 1927 and another person on the heat wave of 1953 (NYT) and modern ways to beat the heat (Guardian)
- Alternatives for back pain--or not (NYT)
- Genes and weight (NYT)
- Living with debating death with dignity--a scholar's personal experience (NYT)
- Great PSA video "Am I Suspicious?" by Howard University students
- Jewish history in Rome (NYT)
- On a TED talk where a doctor asks forgiveness of fat patients he blamed (NYT)
- A controversial look at Teach for America
- How not to be intimidated in a doctor's office (Toni Bernhard)
- Brooks and Collins on being old (hilarious! NYT), responding to Oliver Sacks
- Don't let the kids stay up late! (BBC)
- American Births--so expensive! (NYT)
Thursday, August 22, 2013
More Links I Like
More great reads . . . .from July!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I looked at the piece about the full moon upsetting sleep patterns. The moon's gravitational effect affects the large water masses and gives us tides. Despite all our knowledge we still do not know how the brain works and it seems simple enough to me that for some people the gravitational effect operates on the brain. There are many who believe that sleep patterns are affected by the earth's magnetic effect. I have nearly always slept E-W and find it better than N-S. No doubt some enthusiastic medic has gone into serious detail. Perhaps you have some facts from the children. Others believe that healing is affected by magnetism. The whole thing needs much more careful observation. A job for you?
ReplyDelete