I love recipes and I'm working on incorporating the buzz word "meme" (pronounced "meem," I believe, originated by Richard Dawkins in The Selfish Gene, more on him later today) into my world and so I was glad to see Saveur's recipe meme article, or "8 Great Recipes That Rocked the Internet."
Except I didn't know most of the recipes. How am I out of the loop? Do you know:
Except I didn't know most of the recipes. How am I out of the loop? Do you know:
- Butter Tomato Sauce
- Whole Wheat Chocolate Chip Cookies
- Engagement Chicken
- Heaven and Hell Cake
- Kale Chips
- No-Knead Bread
- 36-Hour Chocolate Chip Cookies
- World Peace Cookies
How did I only know two of those (kale chips and no-knead bread)? I feel left out. I guess I need to read more recipe blogs (not usually what I do unless I'm looking for a specific recipe, though I know of 101 Cookbooks, Chocolate and Zucchini, Food52, Smitten Kitchen, Orangette, and Gluten-Free Girl, and others).
And I guess the other pre-internet memes, like Amish Friendship Bread and Neiman-Marcus Million-Dollar Cookies are just too old to make the list, even if I get emails annually about them.
The list tells us a little about our internet recipe habits--we like sweets, especially cookies! But not vegetables too much. I guess "here are some great brussel sprouts" doesn't make a popular blog post or welcome email.
I wonder what the next recipe meme will be. Let's see if we can start one with this, which is perfect for fall and quite adaptable (try it, email it, post it!):
Miss B's Swedish Apple Pie
3-5 apples, peeled and sliced
1 cup plus 1 teaspoon sugar, divided
1 teaspoon cinnamon
3/4 cup butter, melted
1 cup flour
1 egg
1/2 cup chopped nuts or dried cranberries (optional)
Fill a greased 9' pie plate 2/3 full of apple slices. Sprinkle with 1 tsp sugar and 1 tsp. cinnamon.
Combine remaining ingredients into batter and pour over apples.
Bake at 350F for 45 minutes.
Miss B from playgroup
No comments:
Post a Comment