A week ago I had two transforaminal steroid injections.
And they don't really seem to have helped.
Well, I have gone from sitting about 5 seconds to sitting closer to 60 seconds. But it's nothing like the two hours my doctor predicted. And last night was the worst night I've had in weeks--because of my attempts at sitting? fluctuating hormones? wet, cool weather? Who knows.
Sure, the cortisone hasn't reached full effect (that's about a week out) and sure 60 seconds is better than 5, but I had hoped for 15 minutes. So I could eat a meal at the table, ride in the car sitting in a seat, eventually go to the dentist and the hairdresser. I'm very disappointed; I'll be devastated if there is no more real improvement. Another d-word for the situation: despair.
I haven't talked to the doctor yet, actually, because his office has lost power due to the rain and is closed. Good thing my injection wasn't today! I imagine he'll be mystified. And will suggest nerve root-blocking medicines like Lyrica. I'm very hesitant to go that route. But I will consider it. Along with all the alternative therapies I've been lining up in the event that the injection didn't help.
Meanwhile, I've signed up for a special online retreat with American Buddhist Pema Chodron, entitled "Living Beautifully with Uncertainty and Change." I definitely have uncertainty and change, but I'm not sure I'm living with it beautifully. I vacillate between isolation and contemplation, frustration and acceptance, overwhelmed and keeping perspective, whining and coping, sadness and hope. The physical pain has nothing on the mental suffering . . . .except when I see it all as a huge gift.
No comments:
Post a Comment