Sunday, January 23, 2011

Tread Carefully

The exercise curse exists! I posted awhile back, in a post I can't find (nor can google), that I tend to injure myself within a week or two of starting a new exercise regimen, from walking after Memorial Day almost 3 years ago to swimming this summer to the elliptical I got just a week before herniating my disk.

Unrelated? Though I was bound to blow that disk doing something, my physiatrist has confirmed what I suspected: ellipticals can be bad for people with disk trouble (or, as my PT put it, special sensitive people like me. In her Australia accent, "your body just doesn't like fancy!"). The timing was too coincidental in August and I've had pain after using it since then (before I knew it was something I shouldn't be doing).

And so yesterday we bought a treadmill. I've used treadmills at the physical therapist's office and tested it extensively before deciding on one. And I got the doctor's approval, even though walking was already my only approved activity but I wanted to be sure treadmills aren't different somehow. I'm hoping this will solve some of my problems, mainly my inability to exercise when it's cold and icy, like it has been for almost five weeks. Why not a gym, you wonder? Because I can't get there with slippery parking lots and sidewalks. That's right, I don't get out much these days unless I'm with other adults, who can drop me off up front or hold my hand, even in my snow cleats. It would be one of the worst winters in years--it's 8F outside now, with two days of snow, maybe a blizzard, coming around Wednesday.

Come on spring . . . . and hopefully the end of the exercise curse!

No comments:

Post a Comment