Monday, January 24, 2011

Sick Day

I got THE CALL today from school. You know, the one saying come get your kid because he's sick.

Only, I didn't get it.

As I left a meeting for educators at the historical society, where I'd turned my phone down, not off, just down, and checked my 'droid, I saw a message. From the school. My heart sank. I hadn't heard it ring.

The message said that Bud had thrown up and needed to come home.

I can tell myself it had only been about 5 minutes between the message coming in and my getting it. But that's a long time for a sick kid who doesn't know where his mom is.

He looked miserable when I arrived at the school about 10 minutes later, having already called the nurse to say I was on my way. Poor thing. With a completely negligent mom. Who will now always set her phone on high. Though, the nurse said he'd looked better until I showed up, which is apparently common.

He perked up about an hour later, eating some (kow thom, or jasmine rice porridge with soy sauce; some applesauce), playing some (Legos, of course, and the new labyrinth game), though still wrapped in a big purple blanket.

And he hasn't been sick again.

So he feels better, but I still feel awful.

1 comment:

  1. be gentle with yourself. kids got sick way before cell phones were invented!

    hope all is well by now.

    :-)

    ReplyDelete