Recipes, anecdotes, advice, resources, even a lesson--people have reacted warmly to my bread pledge. Not only am I providing food for my family and learning a new skill, but I feel like I'm fostering a little community of bread lovers. I was given my Cousin S's French bread recipe, which is proofing in my kitchen even as I type. My Aunt T sent me her mother Bammie's recipe for bread, transcribed exactly as she sent it to my aunt years and years ago (Bammie died of ALS in 1975). My church friend sent me the recipe below for Beer Bread, which I hope to try when I make beer beans later this week. And several more church friends offered places to look for recipes, including Soup and Bread (from the CIA) and an annotated cookbook which was donated to the church (ironically by the almost 90 year-old woman down the street who was a good friend but now doesn't like us because we had kids without a father. And now the book is coming to me. I wonder what she'd think.). Another church friend, one of our best cooks and bakers, has offered me a private bread lesson, a traditional loaf and a European loaf with lots of seeds, which I'll be taking on Monday. It's so generous of her--and it sounds like she is as excited as I am! And I just know that this "staff of life," part of communion in many faiths, really does create community when it is shared.
-=-=-=-=-=-
Beer Bread
This is delicious warm, or the next day, sliced/toasted with butter or jam. I find this bread to be a bit sweet and yeasty. I love it and it takes about 5 minutes to prep.
3 cup self rising flour
3 Tbs. sugar
12 oz beer (any beer works, but I did find a lager seems better)
2 Tbs. Butter, melted
Mix flour sugar and beer. Reserve the butter.
Place the mixture in a greased and floured loaf pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes in 350 F over. Pour melted butter over the top and return to oven. Let bake 10 minutes more or until top is nicely browned. Let cool in pan 5 minutes before serving.
J, I grease the pan using butter personally. When you have to flour a pan, using Pam is pretty gunky. Butter or shortening works better.
(Note: The original recipe called for it to bake a total of 1 hour (45 minutes, top with butter, then 15 minutes. I have never needed it to go that long. See how it goes for you. I feel my oven bakes fairly hot anyway though the temp gauge says it's right on so I've let the time adjustments based on my baking.
(2nd Note: If you only have all purpose flour the conversion is: PER CUP add 1 1/2 tsp. baking powderand 1/2 tsp. salt.)
E
This is delicious warm, or the next day, sliced/toasted with butter or jam. I find this bread to be a bit sweet and yeasty. I love it and it takes about 5 minutes to prep.
3 cup self rising flour
3 Tbs. sugar
12 oz beer (any beer works, but I did find a lager seems better)
2 Tbs. Butter, melted
Mix flour sugar and beer. Reserve the butter.
Place the mixture in a greased and floured loaf pan. Bake for 30-40 minutes in 350 F over. Pour melted butter over the top and return to oven. Let bake 10 minutes more or until top is nicely browned. Let cool in pan 5 minutes before serving.
J, I grease the pan using butter personally. When you have to flour a pan, using Pam is pretty gunky. Butter or shortening works better.
(Note: The original recipe called for it to bake a total of 1 hour (45 minutes, top with butter, then 15 minutes. I have never needed it to go that long. See how it goes for you. I feel my oven bakes fairly hot anyway though the temp gauge says it's right on so I've let the time adjustments based on my baking.
(2nd Note: If you only have all purpose flour the conversion is: PER CUP add 1 1/2 tsp. baking powderand 1/2 tsp. salt.)
E
No comments:
Post a Comment