But not too many days ago, I came across a bag of large limas at the grocery and decided to try them in my version of the above. I slow cooked the whole bag after a night of soaking in salt water but got home later than expected that night to overcooked beans. Still, I put half of them with some wheatberries I'd boiled the day before, added diced yellow pepper and carrot, and a red wine vinaigrette and was pretty pleased with my first cold ancient-grain-and-bean-type salad.
The magic was yet to come: I sauteed onions in olive oil, added some garlic when the onions were translucent, then poured in half a can (or less) of tomato sauce, and added the other half of my cooked limas. This was incredible. Both hot and then later in the weekend cold, just like it had been in DC. Mmmmmmm.
So, I still don't know what the deal is with the lima-gigante-fava bean thing but my faux fassolia was fabulous all the same.
No comments:
Post a Comment