Monday, April 19, 2010

Hill of Beans

Something new for dinner, from the Whole Foods website (which I am learning to love)--Chipotle-Orange Black Beans. I've never cooked with chipotle in adobe sauce before but it gave the beans a nice zing! And it wasn't even that much (so I have a whole can left to figure out how to use). Are chipotles hotter than jalapenos? Yep, usually. Just checked the Scoville scale--jalapenos are at 2,500-8,000 while chipotles are at 5,000-8,000. Learn something new everyday. Another thing I learned: 2/3 cups dry beans = 1 can (or about 2 cups) cooked beans. Also, 1/3 cup dry = 1 cup cooked; 1 cup dry = 3 cups cooked. Good to know. Funny that I didn't. Last thing on the bean front for today: did you know that Roman beans are more commonly known as cranberry beans? I didn't and so bought a bag at the store today. I'll be making them later this week. Though, I'm not sure exactly how yet.

-=-=-=-=-=-=
Chipotle-Orange Black Beans

1 small yellow onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped

2 teaspoons canola oil

1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained

1 teaspoon chopped chipotle peppers in adobo (plus more to taste)

Juice and zest of 1 orange

Salt and pepper to taste

2 tablespoons chopped cilantro

2 tablespoons crumbled queso fresco

Method

Heat oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Sauté onions and garlic until soft, about 4 minutes. Add beans and cook 3 to 4 minutes. Stir in chipotles and orange juice and zest. Cook 1 minute longer. Add salt and pepper to taste. Serve garnished with cilantro and queso fresco.

Whole Foods website

No comments:

Post a Comment