Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Eat-Out Wednesday

"Eat-out day" is one of our new family rituals, designed to limit the number of times we think about going out to eat each week as well as to split the week in half with a bit of a celebration (today's eat-out meal is actually dinner, with Mama, before a program at school).

So, it's apropos that today I read the Motherlode post on "kid-friendly foods" and also received a list of lunch ideas I'd requested from my playgroup. First, on the post and its interview with cookbook author Joy Bauer on her new Slim and Scrumptious. (Okay, I HATE the title. If we're not supposed to be stressing physical beauty with kids or even ourselves--see an article on wabi sabi, the Japanese concept of beauty in imperfection which is known in art-historical circles because of the pottery for the tea ceremony, and physical beauty sent to me by Mommy Goose--why is the word "slim" in the title??? A total turn-off and, if Lisa Belkin hadn't posted about it, I never would have given the cookbook a second glance). But I liked Bauer's ideas (even if her forgiving 2-3 nights of processed foods seems like a lot) and her embrace of kid-friendly fare, which to me is often synonymous with comfort food. Her point about children not having an adult palate is well-taken--and I, childhood hater of mushrooms, onions, peppers, squash, carrots, yogurt, coffee, am a perfect example of someone whose taste has changed and diversified. Her quickie meal suggestions (sandwiches, baked potatoes, breakfast) and obvious but overlooked and I like her rule of thumb for snacks being under 150 calories. I do need to reconsider that "one bite" rule, which I am still loathe to enforce. But I see that it's the only way to get anywhere--not making anything new is not the answer (see, I have one picky eater and I feel like if I make a food I know she won't like, even if the rest of us do, that I am somehow favoring her brother; yes, I'm ultra-sensitive to sibling rivalry.) And I, lover of lists, liked her suggestions for snacks and fun dinners. So, put the cookbook on my check-it-out list!

Until then, I have a few other lists, this time for lunch ideas, from playgroup friends. I share it here in case you're in the same boat I am, running out of ideas for lunch that don't involve a check at the end of the meal! I've never really liked lunch options--ask my mom, who would send odd things like deviled ham, cheese, and crackers because I wouldn't eat sandwiches or any kind of cold leftover or salad. Even as a working adult, I would go looking for a hot lunch--is this a holdover from loving the school cafeteria food? I usually want something cooked, i.e. still no sandwiches and rarely a salad, but reheated leftovers or my ubiquitous soups. And the kids are starting to be as picky. This means, though, that sometimes I'm cooking breakfast (oatmeal, which I do on the stove) AND lunch AND dinner, which is even, to my eco-feminist mind, a bit much. And so the list (which, as I see, means that most of my friends cook lunch too!):

  • egg and cheese sandwiches sometimes
  • pasta, cheese, and peas
  • mini-pizzas on pita bread
  • hime veggies w/hummus, fruits
  • dinner leftovers such as tofu, turkey meatballs (from Trader Joe's), chicken nuggets, baked beans with cous cous or quinoa, etc.
  • I have a great recipe for chick peas with carrots, quinoa and raisins. My son likes it because it has a sweet flavor from the raisins and some orange juice.
  • I also make quesadillas with refried beans, zucchini or peppers (diced) in the beans, and shredded cheese
  • sandwiches--turkey, grilled cheese, egg salad, tuna salad
  • make your own pizzas
  • soups--chicken, noodle, tomato, split peas, lentil, wonton
  • cottage cheese with fruits
  • bagel and cream cheese
  • yogurt
  • hamburgers
  • hot dogs
  • chicken nuggets
  • pasta, mac and cheese
  • breakfast for lunch--omelet, pancakes, waffles, hashbrowns, etc
  • stir fry with rice
  • noodle bowls (noodles w/grilled meat/tofu)
  • udon noodles (stir fry w/chicken and veg)
  • any leftovers!

No comments:

Post a Comment