Friday, June 12, 2015

Gumbo Yay-Yay!

That green thing is a giant bay leaf.
Oh, yeah, this is gonna be good.  I just tasted my very first attempt at gumbo in the slow cooker and it's good.  I am not sure, yet, if it's better than my stovetop version, but it's at least a tie.  And so much easier to make.  I got the idea because I've seen numerous recipes for slow-cooker gumbo--it does need to be cooked low and slow--I often rush mine.  And it's so much easier than sauteeing everything separately and then combine in a roux-based sauce.  I still made the roux and then dumped everything together.  The chopping is the longest and hardest part now (this time, I let the roux cook the whole time I was chopping--right next to the stove so I could watch it, though--got it nice and brown.)  

Now experts will probably deride the slow cooker.  And also notice that Mama bought the wrong color bell pepper.  And question the authenticity because I don't add tomatoes or file or okra or whatever.  It's my version and we all love it.  And now I've found another, easier, and maybe even better way to make it.

(My original stove top gumbo recipe and my other New Orleans recipes are here.)

My Slow Cooker Chicken and Sausage Gumbo

4-5 chicken breasts
1-2 lbs. sausage, sliced into coins
1 large onions chopped
3-5 ribs celery, chopped
1 green bell pepper, chopped
5 cloves garlic, minced
1 bay leaves
2 teaspoons Tony’s (approximately--I use just 1 teaspoon for my kids)
1/2 cup flour
1/2 cup oil
6-8 cups chicken stock
cooked rice, for serving

Place chicken, sausage, onion, celery, bell pepper, garlic, bay leaf, and Tony's in crockpot.

Make roux by slowly heating flour and oil in a saucepan on the stove until the color of peanut butter.  Do NOT burn.  Add chicken broth and stir.  Pour this broth mixture over ingredients in crockpot.

Cook on LOW for 6-8 hours.  Serve over rice.

Mommy Hungry

No comments:

Post a Comment