Friday, May 15, 2015

New Granny

For whatever reason, I got it in my head to try a variation of my single Giant Granny Square afghan, the one I've been making a lot of recently.  I wanted to make a mitered one, meaning that the square is in one corner and the color builds from there on two sides.

It's actually looking pretty good, but I've noticed, despite being the same number of stitches on each side, it's skewing crooked, more trapezoid than square.  I don't know if this is my yarn tension or the minute size difference between 3 double crochets straight up vs. on their side.  Or maybe I've made a mistake I can't find.  Who knows.  I guess we'll have to see with the final blanket.  And edging can hide all manner of ills.

But I love the way the colors of the variegated Lion Brand Homespun Ocean are striping--it almost looks like a wave.

If it comes out well enough, it is for a friend whose father died a few months back.


-=-=-=-=-=-=-

Giant Mitered Granny Square Afghan
I'm not great at writing patterns, esp Round 3, 4, and 5.
K hook
Lion Brand Homespun Ocean

Rnd 1: Ch 4, join with sl st to first ch made to form ring. Ch 5 (counts as 1 dc + 2 chs),
*work 3 dc in ring, ch 2, rep from *twice more, work 2 dc in ring; join with a sl st to 
3rd ch of beg ch-5. (four ch-2 corners) DO NOT TURN WORK.

Rnd 2: Ch 1, sl st into next ch-2 sp, ch 5, work 3 dc in this ch-2 sp, *ch 1
(3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc) in next ch-2 sp, rep from * twice more, work 2 dc in final ch-2 
sp (which is right beside the beg ch-5); join with sl st to 3rd ch of beg ch-5.  Ch 3.

Rnd 3:  3 dc in same space; 3 dc in the space between the 2 groups of 3 dc of the previous row; 3dc, ch2, 3dc in next ch 3 corner space; 3 dc in the space between 3 dc; dc and then ch3 in the next last space.  Turn.

Rnd 4:  3 dc in space between 2 groups of 3 dc of previous row; 3 dc in each space until corner; in corner space, 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc; 3 dc between groups until end space between 3 dc; and then ch 3 in last space (between chain and 3 dc below).  Turn.

Rnd 5 etc:  Work Rnd 3 and 4 repeatedly as if these are rows, turning at ends with ch 3 and working 3 dc, ch 2, 3 dc at corner.  Finish off.

Edge with favorite pattern.

Adapted from Crochet Again

No comments:

Post a Comment