Thursday, May 7, 2015

Hits the Spot

A new rice cooker cookbook arrived in the mail yesterday and I put it to the test this morning:  A+!!

I made a creamy "chai" oatmeal rice pudding dish, more dessert than the breakfast chapter it's listed in--officially, "Chai-spiced Oatmeal" from Kate Chin's 300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes.  So creamy and tasty, even without the whole milk it calls for (and I'm not sure you even need the 1/4 cup coconut milk.)  I can see adding almonds or raisins, using almond extract even, with a sprinkling of crunchy granola on top; you could probably just make it with cinnamon instead of cinnamon/cardamom/nutmeg.  I doubt the kids will like it much--they're not fans of rice pudding, which this most resembles.  But, I'll try not to eat the whole pot before Mama gets a try.

I bet it's great chilled!


Spiced Oatmeal-Rice Pudding
1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
1 cup cooked white or brown rice
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cardamom
1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
2 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup coconut milk
3 tablespoons honey
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract

Combine all ingredients in cooker pot.  Cook on PORRIDGE cycle.  Yum!

Katie Chin, 300 Best Rice Cooker Recipes


No comments:

Post a Comment