Sunday, July 21, 2013

Sleepless not in Seattle

I had a sleep study Friday night (I thought this had posted, but it hadn't), after talking to my GP about snoring and sleepiness.  And so I went to a local hotel in the late evening and was hooked up to all sorts of wires and gadgets and told to fall asleep!  And it had to be on the "wrong" side of the bed because of where the video camera was.  The tech was very nice and I was all a-yawn as she got me hooked up.

But I didn't sleep.  Or definitely not well.  Within an hour or two, I awoke extremely warm and never really fell fully asleep again (it doesn't help that I had to sleep in pants!), or did in short spurts between the hours.  To the point that, in the morning, the tech said she felt sorry for me--"Was it that bad?"--and hoped I got to go home to nap.

Anyway, if I had to guess, I don't have apnea.  She said that if there were such signs she'd run a secondary test with a C-pap or whatever it's called.  And she never did.  Which doesn't totally surprise me as I don't have the restless legs or gasping for breath that is common.

Just sleepiness and snoring and lots of rolling over (ever since my first back injury, I wake to flip over carefully several times a night) and nightsweats.  Which made me wonder if recent troubles (I've snored at least since college but haven't had this level of sleepiness before--I'm in bed 9+ hours and still fall asleep in the afternoon if the kids watch tv) aren't at least partially because of hormones.

Anyway, it'll take 2-3 weeks to get the results.  Until then I'm very glad to be back in my own bed.

No comments:

Post a Comment