Wednesday, July 17, 2013

Summer Fun 2013: Wacky Days

I've always liked learning about odd observances, by which I mean not official or sacred holidays of other cultures, but weird days we've honored here in the US, either officially or not.  Like Star Wars day on May the 4th (get it?!) or Pi Day (3/14).  But until the internet, I had never found a good way of learning what these were.

When we were in Texas, we made our traditional pilgrimage to Half-Price Books, a big huge used bookstore that always has something we want.  This time I came home with Yvan D. Lemoine's Food Fest 365 which is a compendium of recipes based on official food days in the U.S.  Now, these official days are the kind that the Butter Churners Association or Official Cranberry Growers Group petition the President to declare in their favor.  And there are some weird ones--finding the Brandied Fruit day on October 20, given my new obsession with it, clinched my purchase.

And what fun we're having!  Today, by the way, is National Peach Ice Cream Day.  Oddly, Mama couldn't find any peach ice cream at the store, not even frozen peaches to add to ice cream.  But I had some peaches (they're either very smooth white peaches or nectarines, actually, but who cares) here at the house which I cut up and we added to a pint of Haagen Dazs vanilla.  Yum!  We ate 3 peaches and a pint between us and it was good.

Now, not every day is a day I can or do get behind.  While we did observe Tapioca Pudding Day (July 15), we skipped Corn Fritters Day (July 16) and Grand Marnier Day (July 14) and definitely tomorrow's Caviar Day.   I would've celebrated National Blueberry Muffin Day on July 11 but forgot.  Otherwise, it seemed wrong to celebrate Pecan Pie Day on July 12, being that is more of a fall pie (and that off-season thing happens frequently, I've noticed.)

I'm not just interested in food days.  Enter the Wacky Days app, which I've added to my smartphone.  It tells me all sorts of odd national observances, like Pandemonium Day.  Of course, there are lots of website that will tell you this too, my favorite being Holiday Insights, which also includes monthly observances (of which there are dozens each month.  We're currently in Anti-Boredom Month, National Hot Dog Month, and Nude Recreation Month).  You actually may recall, dear reader, that I blogged about this, with that very website, three-and-a-half years ago, about National Puzzle Day.  It's not so much that I forgot as I lacked the tools for follow-through.  Wacky Days app and my new cookbook fixed that.

And the peach ice cream was good!

No comments:

Post a Comment