Friday, August 21, 2009

Reading Reading Lolita

I was sitting at my coffee shop, my favorite place to read (only because the library doesn't a). have good cell-phone coverage or b). make a nice frappuccino), reading Reading Lolita in Tehran, a book I have long meant to read but am only now getting to, when I realized that if I lived in Tehran I wouldn't be able to
  • read Reading Lolita
  • read Lolita
  • be in a t-shirt and skirt in public
  • talk to the man who gave me my frappuccino
  • feel the breeze in my hair and sun on my neck when I walked to the coffee shop from my car
  • own my own car without permission from a male in my family
  • have a car with a UU bumper sticker
  • or attend my UU church
  • have a car with a rainbow bumper sticker
  • be an out lesbian
  • with children (without a husband)
  • own my own house
  • choose advanced education or a professional career without permission
  • choose whether I wanted to be a mom at home (in other words, it seems like it's not a choice, it's a given)
  • live without fear of official harrassment, physical danger, jail without trial, death by stoning
  • live with choice, freedom, safety
It's overwhelming, once I started considering how much I take for granted everyday.

No comments:

Post a Comment