Monday, August 31, 2009

Adventures in Cooking Our CSA Share: Squash Overload

I think there are at least 8 squash, both yellow and green, in my fridge, plus 2-3 more almost ready on our squash plants. Time to figure out how to use up a lot of squash at once. Here's an idea from two years ago that everyone liked--Summer Squash Stew; not sure if they will still, but we'll see. I'll probably do it stovetop again, as it's too late in the day for the slow cooker (and, of course, I'll substitute crumbles for the sausage).

Send along any squash recipes you have and like . . .

(Note from dinnertime: I actually ended up making Tortilla Soup, as I started to crave Tex-Mex as I was cutting squash!)

-=-=-=-=-

Summer Squash Stew

2 lbs bulk Italian turkey sausage (we used 1.5 lb ground turkey and .5 lb sausage)
4-14.5 oz cans diced seasoned tomatoes, undrained
5 medium yellow squash, thinly sliced
5 medium zucchini, thinly sliced
1 red onion, finely chopped (we used yellow)
2 tablespoons dried Italian seasoning
1 tablespoon dried tomato, basil, and garlic salt-free spice seasoning (didn’t have this; used Lawry’s)
4 cups shredded Mexican cheese blend (optional)

Brown sausage in large nonstick skillet over medium high heat, stirring to break up meat. Drain. Combine sausage, tomatoes with juice, squash, zucchini, onion, and seasonings in 5-quart slow cooker; mix well. Cover; cook on LOW 3-4 hours.

Sprinkle cheese over strew; cook, uncovered, 15 minutes or until cheese melts.

Note: I actually made this on the stove, not having enough time for 4 hours in the slow cooker. Worked fine.

Makes 6 servings

Slow Cooker Bible

-=-=-=-=-

Tortilla Soup

3-4 cans chicken broth (or homemade chicken stock)

onions, celery, garlic, carrots, zucchini

green chilies

1 can diced tomatoes (or ½ can Rotel)

corn tortillas in strips

Monterrey Jack cheese

Cook vegetables in chicken broth. Serve with tortilla strips and cheese.

(My note tonight: I used diced tomatoes instead of Rotel, added a can of Ranch Beans, and an orange bell pepper, but no celery. Plus no chicken!)

Mom

No comments:

Post a Comment