Wednesday, August 5, 2009

Golden Moments

I've been working on the Golden Rule with the kids, phrasing it as "treat others as you want to be treated," o have them think empathetically before they act (or, well, talk about it afterwards in "time-in"!) Anyway, tonight, Sis kept insisting that I eat one of her alphabet pastas and I kept saying "no, thank you," not understanding why she was so obsessed. Finally, she said, "But, Mom, I want you to eat it so you'll give me some pasta back. I'm treating you the way I want to be treated!"

-=-=-=-=-

Yesterday outside the kids decided to play "golden arches" in their playhouse. Oh, a low moment! But, in its own way, very cute: they each stood at a window and one took the order while another delivered the food. The only quirk: it was an "ocean McDonald's" serving mainly fish sandwiches and I was a hungry shark. At least that part is imaginative and original! Almost erases the embarrassment of the fast-food obsession . . . .

-=-=-=-=-

Today, a visiting mommy friend brought over a delicious golden-crusted Swedish apple pie that she and her son had made. My kids love pie--Sis gets the crust and Bud gets the filling--and were excited to try this one. Actually, they are almost always excited to try whatever treat friends come over, to the point that if Sis sees a mom walk into the house with a dish or a bag, she'll just go sit in her seat to wait, asking sweetly what Miss So-and-So brought. Anyway, this pie was an unqualified success--and the kids both ate both parts! They loved it. Their little friend said they could keep the rest of it and so they inhaled more pie after dinner. The best part? When I asked for the recipe--I know, typical--I was told this is one of the recipes in the secret-as-yet-to-come recipe book from my bridal shower. I can't wait!

No comments:

Post a Comment