Friday, February 18, 2011

Unraveling Prayers

We're outside again today and, having cleared another little bit of the deck of icy snow, I was tugging on the clothesline to free the Tibetan prayer flags. As I did so, the kids asked me what prayers were blowing from them through the wind all over the world. I asked them which prayers they would like to send (since I don't know the specific prayers on our flags).

"The end of slavery," Sis said immediately.

And though I believe she was recalling Lincoln, the Civil War, and slavery then, it's a good prayer even now.

Then we mentioned education for everyone everywhere, having discussed at Daisies yesterday how 52 million girls around the world--that's double the number of girls and boys in the U.S.--are unable to go to school.

Peace. Hope. The end of war.

"Do the prayers work?" Bud wanted to know.

They don't hurt.


No comments:

Post a Comment