Except it's more like nights, in the plural, because we've played three different times in four days, since beginning the activity last Friday. But the kids loved it so much, as did Mama, and even game-averse me, that we've played a lot.
As originally organized, game night included playing games in our pajamas downstairs after dinner with special snacks to eat in the living room. Which was fun for several reasons--we usually go straight up for stories; we're rarely downstairs in our pjs at night; and we never eat in the living room. That night, we each chose a game--Zingo, dominoes, Hi-Ho Cheerio, and Bingo. The next night, Mama taught us Old Maid, played with a regular deck of cards and the Joker as the Maid. We used foil and plastic wrap boxes for the kids to hold all their cards at once and they laughed and laughed each time they got the Maid, alerting the next player. "Game face" means nothing to these kids. But that's all part of the learning process.
Which continues. Mama's on the hunt for the next generation of games, one step up from Chutes and Ladders and CandyLand, something with a bit more strategy but that doesn't involve lots of reading or math. I'm not sure how we feel about team games. She's thinking Sorry or Trouble or something new. We'll probably also expand our card game repertoire--Slap Jack, Go Fish, Battle, whatever. My knowledge of games is extremely shallow. Eventually, I imagine, game night might even involve group video games. We already did a three-way MarioCart race. But I'd need my own DSi.
I can't believe I just typed that. Things, they are a-changin'. And it's good.
No comments:
Post a Comment