Friday, November 5, 2010

"All the Children Are Above Average"*

We had our first (and, I believe, only) kindergarten parent-teacher conferences today. One for each, of course. And I think we did an pretty good job of listening to the teacher's report, asking pertinent questions, and finishing on time.

Well, except perhaps with Bud's teacher, who got us giggling about Bud's forgetfulness. Earlier this week, apparently, Bud was at the computer station with the headphones on when it was circle time. So he hopped up, got tangled in the wires of the headphones, and ended up all twisted on the floor, wires everywhere, shouting out, "I'm okay! I'm okay!" Our sweet Bud, who forgets his backpack, folder, library book, milk tickets, his head if it weren't attached.

And has three women to keep him in line. Which means he'll never learn. (And might drive Sis to distraction before he does!)

We were pleased with all reports (no cute stories about Sis, though . . . not that she's not cute, but we spent the extra time talking about strategies for working with left-handed kids), about reading, writing, and . . . yes, you guessed it, arithmetic. But also about classroom behavior and social skills with peers. Which for me is more important. I know they'll learn to read and that most academic discrepancies equal out by 2nd or 3rd grade. I want them to learn how to listen to the teacher, follow directions, be kind to others, navigate the playground and snack tables and bus happily, respect all.

But we'll still be doing all that homework!

-=-=-=-=-=-
*That's Garrison Keillor on "Lake Wobegon," "where all the women are strong, the men are good looking, and the children are above average."

No comments:

Post a Comment