Monday, November 1, 2010

Halloween Fun 2010: Halloween (At Last!)

After more than a week of celebrations, it was finally Halloween last night.

And we almost missed it!

See, after church, we had lunch, played with the neighbor boy (more on that next!), and then carved pumpkins. Bud and Sis had chosen their own pumpkins last week and got to carve them this week. They each designed the faces, helped sketch it in crayon on the pumpkins, were grossed out by removing the seeds and strings (though Sis did all of hers all by herself!), and then actually got to use the little serrated saw to cut the incisions (child-friendly saw with lots of adult supervision). They were so proud.

We had a Star Wars rest time and realized at 5 pm that we needed to eat dinner before "tricker treating" at 5:45 with said neighbor boy and friends. Oops, too much rest. Mama rushed to pick up burgers and we raced to locate warm underthings to wear with the costumes, as we were under a freeze warning for the night and it was windy. We packed water and flashlights in a backpack that would also be used to carry the candy that no longer fit in the pumpkins and raced at the door, barely taking pictures. Thankfully, Gommie let us call her on Skype later, after we'd gone tricker treating. I did manage the safety talk, mainly about watching for cars, since I've read in several places that poisoned candy is mainly an urban legend (or in-family, as it was when a man tried to kill his son with a Pixie Stix when I was a kid. We were not allowed to have those for years) and that child molestations are no more frequent on Halloween than any other day. Still, I doubt we'll be letting them out alone anytime soon . . . and we still check the candy.

And what fun we had! The kids are getting good--not shy at all--about accosting strangers for treats! Though, at several houses, ours included, there was only a bucket outside from which to grab some candy--because now, both parents go tricker treating unlike when and where I was a kid. I did return to the house when the kids' itinerary took them up hills, which are still too much for me to manage comfortably. And I enjoyed passing out some candy (and lying on the couch in between!). With 360 lollipops in the bag Mama bought, I urged everyone to take large handfuls. But we still have a ton leftover. Which I'm hoping to send to the troops once I find an address.

The kids were done tricker treating with their friends--Sis's favorite girl, Cleopatra, in flip-flops!, the neighbor boy as Darth Vader (luckily, he and Obi never got into it), and a few other miscellaneous current tv or video characters I didn't recognize--by about 7:30 and came home to examine literally pounds and pounds of candy. They traded back some of it for tickets, mostly the stuff with peanuts, which we then recycled in our own candy basket out on the front steps. We saw Gommie and Pop on the computer, talked to Ma and Gong, Goo, and wished Aunt Banana, busy at work, "happy Halloween." They ate a few pieces of candy, hopped around jovially, and crashed in bed by 8:30 something.

Whew. Thank heavens it's finally November!

Except Sis is ready to start celebrating Thanksgiving today . . . .

No comments:

Post a Comment