Monday, November 8, 2010

My Big Fat Greek Bean Pot

Revisiting one of my favorite cookbooks, Fresh From the Vegetarian Slow Cooker by Robin Robertson, I came across a recipe for that tomato-y white bean dish that I love so much (called fassolia, usually, I believe). And it so happens that I had purchased two bags of Greek gigante beans at the Greek Festival in the spring. I put the huge beans on to soak last night, with salt as is my new way (I've found that it's the acid not the salt that toughens beans), and boiled them til tender this morning. The smell of the garlic and onion sauteing in a ton of olive oil was perfect on this cold and windy morning. And the beans, now mixed with that and tomatoes in my slow cooker, smell fantastic! And you can eat them hot or cold . . . I just wish I had some bread and some baklava!

-=-=-=-=-=-

Greek Big Beans

1/4 cup olive oil
1 large yellow onion, chopped
3 garlic cloves, minced
3 cups slow cooked beans or two 15.5 oz cans lima or butter beans, drained and rinsed (or actual Greek gigante beans. I wonder if you could use fava?)
28 oz can diced tomatoes, with juices
salt and pepper
1/2 cup minced fresh parsley leaves

Heat oil and cook onion, covered, until softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in garlic and cook another minute or so.

Transfer the onion and garlic to a 3 1/2 to 4-quart slow cooker. Add beans, tomatoes, and salt and pepper to taste. Stir. Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours. Just before serving, stir in parsley.

Robin Robertson, Fresh from the Vegetarian Slow Cooker

No comments:

Post a Comment