Monday, November 1, 2010

New Hobby?

I think I might take up a new hobby: sewing.

Sure, I can cross-stitch and hand quilt, under duress, and make pillows and the like on my little sewing machine, using skills form my intro to sewing in 8th grade Home Ec (Probably one of the last groups to actually take that class. And I was "Homemaker of the Year" in my grade! But like typing, it was some of the most useful stuff I took in high school.). But I can't make clothing. And I'm realizing that I'd very much like to be able to. I am so impressed by people who can sew, from my Aunt T's intricately pieced quilts and M.Q.'s three-fabric holiday pillowcases to the apron (and other pieces shown on her blog) made by Ms. Sew-and-Sow.

I want to be able to make Sis and Bud's Halloween costumes next year, regardless of what they choose. I mean, this year, I should've been able to make the Jedi and knight costumes. Just like my mom did, from my pink fairy princess dress to my pink pioneer/prairie dress, from my maroon and white pep squad outfit to my black and white clown costume. And my sister's authentic Gizmo from Gremlins costume.

And, I want to be able to make period garb, for the Renaissance festivals we go to, and particularly if I become a docent at an early American house and need a colonial costume (more on this if it happens, but it's in the works for spring).

But, those are very advanced. I better start with something easier. Any suggestions or advice? Maybe I can practice on Christmas presents for everyone . . . .

2 comments:

  1. This is what I told my cousin Judy's daughter this weekend, who said almost the same thing about wanting to learn how to sew. I told her that I got my sewing machine in the 8th grade and was able to sew clothing just by following the directions on the pattern. I won't go so far as to say I made them well at that point. The next year I took Home Ec and really learned the techniques. You might try getting a pattern for aprons. Those would be easy directions for an early project. But, as a caution, because of your back you would need to take frequent breaks. I bet your mom could be a big help on one of her visits. Also, check with fabric stores and see if someone is giving lessons.

    Here's my funny story about making costumes for the kids. I did that. I made all their costumes and I was pretty smug about it, I think. One time I was boasting about it to Wanda. I said, "I made all their costumes. They never had a store bought costume." She brought be back to reality by immediately commenting, "No matter how much they begged!" I had to laugh and agreed that her observation was probably right on the mark.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i come from a long line of seamstresses/sewers. i learned a lot by just watching my mom. then, like susan, those old fashioned home ec classes really did the trick. maybe you could find an adult ed class in your town?
    or, if you had the time, you could drive over to my place in SW CT and i could help you get started w/ the basics...i have this fab new studio space to play in!
    do you have a sewing machine?

    ReplyDelete