Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Au Naturale

I'm sorta going chem-free over here. No, not in my food, which we try to keep as local/organic/seasonal as reasonable. And not in my habits, since I don't smoke or do drugs or drink. And chocolate is not a chemical!

Nope, in my "beauty regime."

I've given up deodorant, moisturizer, face soap, and, half the time, shampoo.

Though, it wasn't all at once. Nor for any crunchy granola agenda. (Though it sure sounds like it. Especially if you take into account all my natural supplements for back care--Nordic Naturals fish oil for inflammation, Slow mag water-soluble magnesium for muscle memory and PMS/ovulation cramps, wild blueberry extract for help with weight loss--as opposed to big pharma. Which I do keep handy just in case!)

It dawned on me, when I read an article about older women with long hair, that shampooing every night wasn't working and so I researched "no 'poo," the shampoo-free movement that advocates use of baking soda and vinegar OR rinses and head massages. So I skipped shampoo for a week and realized two things: my hair has more shine, body, and curl when I don't shampoo regularly but that I don't like to go without it. So now I'm on an every few days schedule, with a rinse and massage in between. And I love my locks! Which are growing longer everyday (since I can't sit for a cut . . . )

Similar thing with face soap. I don't have great skin. Never have. And I've used soaps and scrubs and cleansers and moisturizers and drinking water and and and. . . . Nothing would improve it. And so I adapted Mama's technique: rinse twice daily. No soap. And she has pretty, clear skin. We can do this because neither of us wears make up. And now, I don't need moisturizer either. And I'm pretty much the same, though not as dry.

As for the deodorant, it goes like this: I had read a long time ago that aluminum in deodorant was dangerous; don't know if it's true but I turned to more natural deodorizers without it, like Tom's of Maine. But in doing so, I realized my underarms turned dark. Googling that led me to realize I was probably allergic to the natural stuff. And so I've given it up--and the dark spots disappeared in just a few days. And I don't smell. Besides, I saw Dr. Oz on Oprah once say that we don't need deodorant as long as we wash regularly.

Which I do, every night, with soap.

Natural, chem-free kinds of soap.

1 comment:

  1. Oh dear! Dr you have messed up. As that famous dictionary man said, and I misquote 'Other noses smell, you have a scent (or odour)' Of course we all do, that is how animals recognise us but fear not, you would probably have to not wash here and there for several days before the rest of the world noticed.
    I tried not using shampoo on my hair for over a week and was told it looked lank and horrible so I am back to 'fairly often'

    ReplyDelete