Wednesday, September 3, 2008

Time Travel

Want to know how to go back 30-odd years in time?

See a Scholastic book order form at preschool orientation! It's still a folded colorful sheet with an order form.

And we get to order once a month!

I LOVE book orders: looking at the offerings (even when you were supposed to be listening--what were they thinking to pass those out before the end of the day), begging your mom for more than you "need," (hate the waiting, waiting, waiting), finding the pile of new books on your desk after recess (my teachers never seemed to use them to bribe us into good behavior. Apparently Mama's did, which pissed her off because she was always good), remembering and being surprised by what you had ordered, the smell and feel of brand new Scholastic books, the entire afternoon reading period we always got on book day.

WAIT, I'm the mom now. No begging! I can buy as many as I want (though, truthfully, my parents never really limited my book consumption. I'm going to continue that tradition, even though I'm sure it's an expensive one.).

And then there was book fair, usually coinciding with the week of Open House so you could coerce your parents into buying even more books.

I can't wait for the first book order! And we'll get two forms--one for me and one for Mama. It's like being 6 all over again.

2 comments:

  1. OMG! I love, love, LOVE book orders! Color me so jealous that I have to wait a whole year until Goose goes to school. Enjoy it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a big book order girl!! One of the perks of being a teacher - I get every book order out there. Let me know if you want to take a look at the first grade edition:)

    ReplyDelete