Sunday, September 7, 2008

36 Hours

Thank goodness we've reached the final stretch. Yep, 36 hours until school. Finally. Here are some snapshots of the last few days.

Make Up a Story: this is a game Mama came up with at dinner last night as a way to entertain the kiddos. Well, it's not new, but it's new to us: someone starts a story and the next person continues it. Last night, we told a long one about a kitty and a skunk who can't find his mommy. And then one about a giant playing in the mountains and clouds. This then became what kinds of things would we like clouds to "rain"--Sis choose chocolate; Buddy chose strawberries; I asked for yarn; Sis said Mama would choose "bars" as in granola bars. "Make up a story" was the first thing they asked for tonight.

-=-=-=-=-

"What's the good word?" I asked Buddy, just wondering what he was up to. "Please," he said.

-=-=-=-=-

A fly was caught in the car. It must have landed on Sis. "Mommy, I got . . . BUGNESS on me!"

-=-=-=-=-

Schultuten: I made the kids' "school cones" last night. It was Mama Teacher's idea to use foam and it worked great. We laced up a foam square--pink for Sis, green for Bud--and I decorated them with foam shapes and foam markers. Tres eco-friendly. I filled them with gifts--horses and cookie cutters for Sis, cars and baseball cards for Bud (mercy, it sounds so gender specific). I'll also put a felt heart in there, just a little token (also a suggestion of Mama Teacher's); I couldn't cut them in half as some had suggested, to match up with the other half that I carried when school was over--that's just too macabre for 3 year olds, I think.

-=-=-=-=-

We have new backpacks, though I'm not sure we need them for preschool. We already have snackboxes. That means that upon arrival and departure, I will be carrying four--count them, 4!--bags. I'm going to need a bag. But when I laughingly chose a cupcake one at the store today, Sis firmly reminded me that I was done with school. And thus shouldn't get a new bag. Well, it wasn't big enough anyway.

-=-=-=-=-

We had a great outing yesterday to see the model trains and then go for ice cream afterwards. Yep, we did win the "best mommies ever" contest.

-=-=-=-=-

It seems like the ABCs are everywhere these days. We had alphabet soup at lunch and the kiddos picked out letters, mainly those starting their names, and we came jup with other words with the same letters. Then, after lunch, Bud and Sis actually wrote those starting letters on the chalkboard. Without our help.

-=-=-=-=-

Practice: we've had two practices for our "drop off" day of school on Tuesday. First, we had visiting day on Thursday. That went pretty well. And then we had the first day of Sunday School today. A little less smooth. In fact, Mama stayed in the class for the whole 15 minute sesson today, just to calm nerves and reassure. But there were no tears or hysterics, so we'll see how it goes . . . .

. . . in less than 36 hours.

No comments:

Post a Comment