Wednesday, September 17, 2008

It's a Miracle

I ate a raw tomato.

Not a whole one, just 1/4 of a slice.

But it was a tomato and it was uncooked. See, I don't like raw tomatoes. Ketchup, fine; sauce, great; salsa, even better (not sure why, but it's ok). But plain old sliced tomatoes? No way. Not for 35+ years.

And yet, earlier this week, the green tomatoes we had picked had ripened into big red tomatoes. And the kids, especially Sis, were so excited. I sliced them up, salted and peppered them (trying to make it more edible because even then I sensed I was going to have some).

But no takers. So, I had a bit. And chewed and swallowed without making a face. It wasn't terrible, but still not my favorite by a long shot (raw tomatoes, along with cucumbers, anything licorice-y, cilantro, and most seafood are on my list of no-way). But I won't be so rigid in their avoidance in the future, as long as they are on other things and not straight up.

And the kids? They were nonplussed by my sacrifice and didn't even try them. Can't say I don't understand completely.

No comments:

Post a Comment